Got a hankering for some raw vegan bbq? Boy, have I got a delicious and easy recipe for you! This one is versatile and can be made with tempeh or canned jackfruit. I love both variations, it just depends on my mood and if I want something a little lighter (jackfruit) or filling (tempeh).
I eat this bbq room temperature, but if you want to heat it up, feel free to pop it in your dehydrator for a little while to warm it up. This bbq tastes great stuffed in a variety of things. So far I’ve used bell pepper halves, living lettuce, and jicama tortillas. Feel free to be creative and use whatever tickles your tastebuds.
BBQ Tempeh (or Jackfruit)
Ready in 20 minutes
Servings around 4-6
- 5 medium heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ raw honey
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5-8 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 16 oz of tempeh or 2 lbs of canned jackfruit (whichever you prefer!)
- Place all ingredients (except tempeh/jackfruit) in your high speed blender and blend until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Crumble tempeh or jackfruit into a medium airtight container. Pour BBQ sauce mixture into the container and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Serve right away or store in the refrigerator.
- Stuff in your favorite option: jicama tortilla wraps, red bell pepper halves, romaine lettuce leaves, etc.