This here is one of my favorite "go-to" raw vegan comfort foods. It takes me back to childhood where eggs were always a staple in my family. Believe it or not I used to be quite the egg addict. Egg salad was one of my favorites and it always showed up at potlucks and other family get-togethers. So, as you can imagine I was stoked when I eventually came up with this recipe which tastes so much like the original but without any cruelty to animals or negative health consequences. It's fairly easy to make. The longest part of the recipe is the culturing of the macadamia nut yogurt. Other than that, it's a breeze! And unlike real egg salad, this will fill you up without bogging you down or making you feel less than your best thanks to the probiotics! So, why don't you give it a try and let me know what you think?
Ready in 12-36 hours
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, soaked for 2-4 hours, then drained
- 2 cups young thai coconut meat, chopped
- 1 sleeve of celery, chopped
- 1 sleeve of green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp kala namak salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dill
- Soak the Macadamia nuts in water for 2-4 hours to soften them up, then drain them.
- Throw the nuts into a blender with some probiotics and a little water, then blend until smooth and creamy. Scoop the mixture out into a glass jar and top with a lid. Let it sit out on the countertop for 12 to 36 hours to ferment. To speed up the process you can sit it in a warm spot.
- After the yogurt is ready to go, pour it into a bowl and stir in all the rest of the ingredients. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Serve as is or use it to fill romaine hearts, red bell peppers, etc. Have fun with it! ☺