After the recent eggless salad and mock tuna salad creations I made, I got to thinking about how I could make a mock chicken salad. I remembered that the canned jackfruit I sometimes buy from Trader Joe's could take on the texture of chicken and decided to come up with a recipe based off of that. What I came up with turned out so good that I made it a second time right away! 😄 I think it turned out even better the second time around ... possibly because of modifications I made or maybe because my fiancé helped me with preparing it. 😉 I hope you enjoy it too. Btw, if you want to keep it 100% raw I gave some alternatives in the recipe for ya! 😁
Jackfruit “Chicken” Salad
Ready in 20-30 minutes
- 2 lb canned jackfruit or 4 cups young Thai coconut
- 1 ⅓ cups chopped celery
- ⅔ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- ½ cup goji berries
- 1 cup of Cashew Mayonnaise (recipe below) or if lazy use Vegenaise
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard or 2 tsp ground mustard
- ⅓ cup fresh dill or 3 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Drain jackfruit and mash pieces until they resemble pieces of chicken. Place in a medium to large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir everything together until evenly combined.
- Serve right away as is or cover and store in the refrigerator.
- Bon appetit!
Ready in 2.5 hours
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Soak cashews in water for 2 hours, drain, and rinse. Place in your high speed blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend on high until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Store in a glass, airtight container in the refrigerator. Should keep for about 2 weeks.