I got a craving for pistachios the other day so I put an order in for my favorite raw shelled pistachios from Santa Barbara Pistachios. Mmm the ones I get from this company are the freshest I’ve ever tasted. 😍 I used some of them to make this pistachio pesto zoodle dish. 🤤😋
Did you know that pistachios are technically a fruit? How cool is that? They also boast a wide array of nutrition benefits. As a pregnant 🤰🏻 woman I love that they are high in vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, B6, folic acid, Vitamin A, C, & E plus rich in minerals like copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and calcium. Just one ounce of pistachios contains the amount of potassium of half a banana 🍌! It is also one of the lowest fat “nuts” while also being one of the highest in protein with a high amount of essential amino acids, which is something you need more of during pregnancy. Pistachios are also quite high in insoluble fiber which helps feed and grow beneficial gut flora not to mention combating constipation, which is a frequent issue during pregnancy, especially during the first and third trimesters.
Let’s not stop there though, pistachios aren’t just good for pregnant women, they are beneficial for everyone! For instance, they are a vasodilator which means that they are great for helping men with erectile dysfunction. And the high levels of zinc also help boost libido! The high levels of protein and fiber also aid in weight loss. Studies have also shown it to be an anti-inflammatory food with a high amount of antioxidants as well. The healthy fats also make it great for lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) while boosting the good stuff (HDL)! Pistachios may also be a great snack for diabetics to munch on as they help to control blood sugar levels.
Pistachio Pesto Pasta
Ready in 3-5 hours
- 10 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup non-fortified nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup pistachios, soaked for 2 hours
- 4 tbsp pine nuts, soaked for 30 min
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Juice from one lemon
- 4 zucchini or yellow squash
- Soak pistachios for 2 hours and pine nuts for 30 min. Drain and rinse.
- Place all ingredients except zucchini in a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and well combined. Set sauce aside.
- Use a spiralizer to cut the zucchini into noodles. Place noodles into a large bowl.
- Pour sauce over noodles and stir until noodles are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!